About The Program

A student exchange program is a study program in which students pursue education at one of the international partner institutions for a period of 6 months to 1 year.

IIT Palakkad encourages all types of collaborations and exchange programs with foreign universities. Study abroad programs are typically intended for undergraduates & graduate students who would like to spend a semester abroad taking courses/project work. International exchanges propel students towards multi-faceted approaches to learning. These experiences play an important role in their self-development and awareness leading to enhanced self-confidence, self-esteem and exposure to ‘foreign’ environments.

General Procedure

  • The student must select a University based on information available on the Office of International Relations website (https://ir.iitpkd.ac.in). Institutions with whom IIT Palakkad has a current MOU typically offer a tuition fee waiver.
  • The student will then have to identify a set of courses to be taken during the semester abroad, check the suitability of semester duration as well as the language of instruction.
  • He / She must then consult with the Faculty Advisor regarding the suitability of the proposed courses. The approval of the Faculty Advisor is an essential step of the process.
  • The student must obtain the approval of the Head of the Department.
  • The student must then obtain the necessary clearances from the Academic section and Dean, Academic Courses approval before submitting the request to the Office of International Relations. 
  • The Student carrying backlogs will not be allowed to participate in “study-abroad” programs.
  • The student can submit his application form and other necessary documents tothe Office of International Relations (OIR).
  • The  OIR will then nominate the applicant to the relevant Office at the foreign university and facilitate the process of admission.
  • Students have to bear their travel and other expenses to participate in the exchange program.
  • Need to know about opportunities?


  • What kind of Visa should I apply for?
    The instructions for the Visa type will be provided by the Host University.
  • Can I do my coursework exchange in my first year of UG and PG?
    Foreign students (UG) who want to apply for course work exchange are expected to have completed at least 3 to 4 semesters at their home institution. PG students are expected to have completed at least one semester at their home institution. 
  • Can I take courses across different departments at Host University?
    Yes, students can register for courses from different departments at the host University with prior permission from the Faculty advisor of Home University
  • Are there any instructions for students on the exchange program?
    The students are requested to have a minimum of 85% attendance and abide by the rules and regulations of the university and the law of Land